Thursday 28 August 2014

Review: Contracted (2013)

Contracted
IMDB rate: 5,2
Genre: Virus

Contracted is another one of Netflix' brilliant selection of horror movies. I wouldn't necessarily say that Contracted is such a brilliant movie though, to be honest I don't really know what to think of this movie. It was a bit of a weird movie, although interesting as well at moments. It was somewhat original I would say. 

A young girl contracts what she thinks is a sexually-transmitted disease - but is actually something much worse.


I don't think this review will be spoiler-free so beware! 
The movie begins with a short scene in what appears to be a morgue, here we see two legs with a name tag on someones toes, also, it appears that someone is having sex with that body. Normally you don't really pay a lot of attention to these first scenes and you often forget about it very quickly again, but with this movie it's something that you need to keep in mind during the movie, especially since it's not mentioned again after this. 

This movie is over a timespan of three days and in this three days we see a girl get very sick. It's a pretty good build-up I think. The sickness starts small but quickly gets worse. The make-up effects of this illness are pretty impressive I would say, they look very realistic. 
There are a few huge plot holes in this movie though, for example the doctors are just terrible. At first she gets a blood test and she has to wait for the results, that's okay because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot wrong at that time. But after two days she comes back to the doctor and looks just gross and terribly sick, and this point the doctor still says to wait for the test results while she's at a point where she's definitely too sick to be walking on the street again. Why not send her to the hospital immediately? Even when it's not a STD, it still could be something infectious. 

I enjoyed the storyline of this movie, but I was terribly annoyed with the acting. It was HORRIBLE. Najarra Townsend plays the main character Samantha and she's just a terrible actress. This movie would be so much more appreciated if her acting was better. She's definitely not the only terrible actor in this movie, I think I haven't seen a good one to be honest. But well, she's the one that pretty much carries the movie, so if her acting was a bit better I think you wouldn't be as much annoyed with the other horrible actors as well.
The dialogues are pretty dumb as well, Dumb and Dumber seem more clever than this bunch of people. 


SPOILER: I thought the ending was kinda unsuspected, I thought she would just die eventually or get killed because she had nasty sick sex or something. But what appears to happen at the end is that this girl is turning into a zombie. I seriously did not see that one coming.

Contracted is a pretty original movie and I honestly was surprised by the ending. The acting in this movie is terrible though which ruins pretty much the entire movie. The dialogues are horrible and unreal but the make-up is very good. I'm just not really sure what to think of this movie.

My personal rate: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..