Saturday 31 May 2014

Review: The Nightmare Room

The Nightmare Room
IMDB rate: 7,2
Genre: Supernatural, TV Show

A while ago I bought a DVD from The Nightmare Room, unfortunately only 4 episodes are on this DVD so I can only review 4 episodes. I bought this because I've read all R.L. Stine books, including the Nightmare Room ones. I really loved his books when I was younger, to be honest, I still like them. I've never watched any of the Nightmare Room episodes until today and unfortunately they weren't as good as Goosebumps, still enjoyable though to see some of your favorite childhood books on TV.

This won't be a long review, since I've only seen four episodes of The Nightmare Room, perhaps someday I'll search the other episodes and I'll update this post. Will let you know of course when that time comes.

The Nightmare room is definitely not very good, but neither was Goosebumps when you watch it when you're older. It's enjoyable to see once, but the quality is just not very good. The Nightmare Rooms has a few actors in them that are quite big(ger) actors now, always fun to see them as young kids. 

My Name is Evil:
IMDB rate: 6,9

On good natured Morgan's birthday, he and his friends go to a carnival where he is made a fool of by his pretty classmate Kristin... and declared evil by a fortune-teller. The next day, when his friend Jason is revealed to be going out with Kristin instead and she says she asked him before Morgan asked her, Morgan is angry and feels his arm itching just before Jason has an accident, and Kristin gets Jason to believe Morgan was responsible. The same thing happens when Jason sinks through the ground after beating him at track-team tryouts, but Kristin turns every students, even his and Jason's friend Justin, against Morgan. The fortune-teller reveals how the whole thing started innocently, but Morgan seems to have grown an uncontrollable power to lash out at other with, at the cost of others' trust.

I enjoyed this episode the most of the four I watched. It was also my favorite Nightmare Room book when I was younger. Many things changed when switching to television unfortunately. In the books for example the main character is a girl whose best friends are triplets. In the TV show the main character is  a guy whose friends are just a few random guys.

Overall it was much like the book, besides small changes. It was a fun episode but I was a bit bothered by all the slow motion and overacting in it. Especially the main character tried too hard to look innocent, it became a bit annoying after awhile.

Another fun thing was seeing Kaley Cuoco as the bitch girl in it, she was still very young back then but she was the only one who acted reasonably. A bit strange actually, since she's a bit annoying in The Big Bang Theory as an actress.
Still, I liked this episode the most. 

Scareful What You Wish For:
IMDB rate: 7,8

With his sister going off to college, Dylan is moving into her old room and packing away all his toys from over the years. Then he is approached by a mysterious younger boy who calls himself Buddy and acts as if Dylan already knows him... and appears responsible for his best friend's being slipped an allergen in his sandwich. Buddy looks and sounds exactly like Dylan's old doll Buddy. The doll continues to approach and torment Dylan, not accepting that this part of Dylan's life won't include him.

Also a fairly good episode, with a young Shia LaBeouf in the lead role. Honestly, I think this is his best performance to date. I movies like Transformers and Disturbia he was also a bit annoying and I never found him really good at acting, but truly, he's quite good in Scareful What You Wish For!

This episode is a lot like Child's Play actually, at least in terms of what the dolls says. Instead of "Hi, I'm Chucky! Wanna play?", he says "Hi, I'm Buddy, I'm your best friend!" Or something like that. The similarity sure is scary. Luckily, Buddy isn't a real living doll. Not in terms of murdering and walking around and stuff at least. No he's a real human who looks like the doll, and talks like the doll. But while  he is wandering around, the doll still lies in the box. Meaning, he didn't transform or anything.

The buddy person is played by Dylan and Cole Sprouse, also known from The Suit life of Zack and Cody. Quite scary fellows when they're younger. Another familiar face is Tania Raymonde (Lost, Texas Chainsaw 3D)

The ending was very good, another likable episode of The Nightmare Room!


Tangled Web
IMDB rate: 7,9

Josh is always lying to get himself out of trouble, but when he tells the substitute math teacher unfamiliar with his excuses that his homework was stolen by unique robbers along with his entertainment system, Mr. Farber seems to believe him. From here on strange things start to happen to Josh..

The books title is 'Liar, Liar' and I was really curious about how they were going to turn it into an episode, but unfortunately they changed a lot from the book. The episode wasn't bad, but it was just a bit boring at times. They should've followed the book in my opinion.

At many points it was just too over-the-top that made it boring at moments. There were only a few things that I liked about this episode, being: David Carradine (Kill Bill), Justin Berfield (Malcolm in the Middle) and the clown masks. The clown masks were actually the scariest thing I've seen in The Nightmare Room, which is a good thing!

Overall, it was a boring episode. Such a shame they didn't follow the book :(.

Fear Games:
IMDB rate: 7,3

6 youngsters go to an abandoned island for a reality TV show, but weird stories are roaming around them...

Most boring episode I've seen this evening. Strangely enough, it has a 7,3 on IMDb. The ending was the biggest disappointment ever. Fear Games isn't taken from a Nightmare Room book I believe, at least I can't remember reading it.

The acting was just plain terrible. My dog can give better performances than this bunch of 'actors'. The story was boring as well. It reminded me a lot of Wrong Turn 2, which is also a terrible movie. Most Nightmare Room episodes end with a twist, but this one was very dull and ended all good and well, not the ending I was hoping for.

I actually don't have much to say about it, besides that it was terrible. Only nice thing in it was the cameo of Tippi Hedren (The Birds).



Overall, The Nightmare Room was very nostalgic. I liked a few episodes, others not so. Perhaps in the future I'll make a bigger post about my favorite R.L. Stine books and stuff. They're rather interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..