Saturday 29 March 2014

Review: Shutter (2008)

Shutter
IMDB rate: 5,2
Genre: Ghost

I have never seen the original movie unfortunately, I believe it's from Thailand. I'm not too sure what i thought of this movie. It wasn't bad or anything. I even thought it was slightly good. Now, please forgive me but this will be a short review since it has been quite some time already since I saw it. Or well.. I saw it not too long ago but it was too long ago to remember everything about it. I wanted to write this review for such a long time already, but every time I had trouble writing about it. So that's why it's a short review!

A newlywed couple Ben and Jane move to japan for a promising job opportunity - a fashion shoot in Tokyo. During their trip on a dark forest road they experience a tragic car accident, leading to the death of a young local girl. Upon regaining consciousness, they find no trace of her body. A bit distraught the couple arrives in Tokyo to begin their new life. Meanwhile Ben begins noticing strange white blurs in many of his fashion shoot photographs. Jane believes that the blurs are actually spirit photography of the dead girl who they hit on the road, and that she may be seeking vengeance.


I liked it, although it had a few flaws. Such as the actress. Rachael Taylor plays Jane in this movie, and she's not a very good actress I think. It's often as if she waits until she can say her line, more like a play rather than a movie. It was the same in The Darkest Hour, I'm just not too much of a fan of her. I do like Joshua Jackson though, who plays her husband Ben. His acting is a lot more natural.

 Now about the story. I liked how it was set up. Personally I enjoy a ghost movie much more than for example a slasher movie. The story goes a lot deeper in most cases so it's a bit more interesting I think. It was a cool twist to see that the girl haunting them wasn't after Jane, but after Ben. The double body weight and the bruised shoulder was a good adding to what was really happening.

In my opinion the movie was a bit too slow, it was hard to keep focused. Quite a shame really, since the idea of this movie is excellent if you ask me. Also, some scenes are a bit far-fetched. Perhaps I will watch the original movie one day to review that one.

My personal rate: 6,5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..