Monday 14 October 2013

Review: Lost [Season 1]

Lost
Season 1
IMDB rate: 8,5
Genre: Mystery, Drama, TV Show

Well, I'm quite late to this party, but I've finally started watching Lost. I bought a few seasons a while back, but I never got around watching it because I was missing season 1. Well, luckily there's season 1 on Netflix, meaning that again, I was addicted to another TV show. I've heard of Lost many times before and while it seemed kinda fun to me, I never got around watching it. It's quite funny because I remember that Lost first came to the Dutch television and it was announced that this was 'The best mini-serie of all time!', yes you read that correctly, "mini-serie". Six seasons later and it's being said that there still isn't a good answer to everything. Of course, I don't know anything about this yet and can't confirm anything since I'm only at season 2 at the moment. Perhaps I will watch Lost till the last season, but it's being said that it's quite boring after awhile, so I can't say for sure yet.
All I know is that I really enjoyed watching Lost, season 1. As I said, I am halfway through season 2 and I still enjoy watching it.
It's really a good TV show and I think that season 1 is brilliant. I do notice that season 2 is a bit less fun, but still very interesting. But I'll talk about that in the next Lost review!


I thought it would be nice to discuss the main characters and what I think about them.
!WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD!
  • Jack Shepard: Well there are always people like Jack in a TV Show. The good guys who try to save everybody. Until this moment he does not have a bad thing shown yet. While all the others appeared to be not very nice in 'their previous life', he seems to be the only one this far that doesn't have any problems. I also think that Matthew Fox is an excellent choice for his character. He is serious but also has a soft side.
  • Hugo 'Hurley' Reyes: Definitely one of my favorite characters on this show. He's very sweet and big and doesn't lose an ounce on this deserted island, a very strange matter, but I really like him. He brings a bit of humor in this show with his comments on everybody. Jorge Garcia is also a good choice for Hurley, I think they would resemble each other a lot in real life.
  • Sayid Jarrah: Naveen Andrews plays the guy from Iraq, Sayid. I only knew the actor Naveen Andrews from the movie Planet Terror so this role is quite different from that one. I like that he is the smart guy on this island, he doesn't search for trouble with the others and is mostly apart from the rest. I do think that his character became a bit darker in the second season because of events that happened and this 'new Sayid' is a bit less fun, but besides that, I think that his character will grow a lot. 
  • James 'Sawyer' Ford: His character is a real scumbag in the first season and I disliked him a lot, but his character changed a bit in season 2 and he's a lot more likable this way. He's kinda sarcastic but that's also what makes him funny. 
  • Kate Austen: I would like to learn everything about her since she's the real badass of the island. I'm in season 2 at the moment and I still don't know everything about her. I am getting a bit crazy of her running between Jack and Sawyer though, a bit too much Twilight-alike. Make a goddamn choice woman! Evangeline Lilly is a very pretty woman and I think she possesses the sweetness and the toughness that Kate also possesses. So I think she's an excellent choice for the role of Kate.
  • John Locke: Not too sure what to think of him. One time he seems like a good guy and the other time he seems like the bad guy. Also, he has this weird mouth which makes him look like he's always smiling even when he's sad or at a funeral or something. I think he will eventually become a bad guy, but that are only guesses.
There are so many other people to talk about, Jin Kwon and Sun Kwon are both main characters too, but I find their characters a bit underdeveloped at the moment. They don't seem to have a lot of functions for the main story. Especially Jin is very useless. Claire Littleton is also very useless for the story I think. She's always busy with the baby and seems kinda selfish sometimes. The one time that interesting things happened with her she couldn't remember anything of it so that makes her kinda useless. I do like the character of Dominic Monaghan though, which is Charlie. Charlie is a funny guy but a bit stupid. He brings a bit of humor to Lost.

There are 25 episodes in season 1 of Lost, which are way too many to discuss them all. 

Favorites:
Episode 1: Pilot part 1
Episode 2: Pilot part 2
Episode 11: All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues
Episode 15: Homecoming
Episode 18: Numbers
Episode 23: Exodus part 1
Episode 24: Exodus part 2
Episode 25: Exodus part 3

Least favorite:
Episode 5: White Rabbit
Episode 6: House of the Rising Sun

Episode 8: Confidence Man
Episode 19: Deus Ex Machina


All together, I grew to be a big fan of Lost. I think it's an amazing TV show this far and I'm very curious about what's still coming. Obviously, I am only at season 2 yet so I can't say a lot about it yet. It is being said that Lost becomes real terrible after a few seasons, but I don't know yet. I will watch it until it becomes terribly boring but I hope I can watch it until the very last season.

I must say that it seemed to me like the last episode of Lost season 1 would be the ending, but then in the very last seconds it seems like they changed their mind. That scene could have been the ending so that it would indeed be only a Mini-serie, but that scene could have also gone in a way where they can continue the show. Apparently they choose for the second one, because there suddenly happened something in the very last seconds. I like how the show continues, but I wouldn't have mind if it had ended in the way it could have been.


I do recommend watching Lost, it's a very good show especially season 1. Very good acting and an excellent cast brought together. The storyline is interesting and fun to follow. A lot of cliffhangers make you want to watch the entire season in one day.

My personal rate: 8,5/10






No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..