Monday 23 September 2013

Review: This Is the End (2013)

This Is the End
IMDB rate: 7,3
Genre: Post-Apocalyptic, Comedic

So I FINALLY got around watching This Is the End. I've wanted to see this movie as soon as the first trailer came out but unfortunately they did not play this movie in the Dutch cinemas, so I had to wait a bit longer. But now I finally saw it!
I loved it. I laughed my ass off. Seriously, this is the best cast a comedy movie can have. I haven't laughed this much while watching a movie in quite a long time, so for me it was brilliant. 
Perhaps I expected it a little bit different, but that doesn't make the movie bad or anything. I still loved it. 

Why am I writing about a comedy movie on a horror blog? Well, I have a good excuse for that. It's about the apocalypse and it contains some messed up shit. Which makes it an excellent Comedy Horror. The movie is definitely not scary, nor is it meant to be, but it does contain a few horror elements, which gives me a good reason to write about this movie.


All Jay Baruchel expected coming to LA was a fun time with Seth Rogen with all the wild partying to have both by themselves and at James Franco's housewarming party. Suddenly, the Rapture hits and the Biblical Apocalypse has begun. Now, Jay and Seth are desperately sheltering in James' house for rescue along with a few other friends. Together, they must band to attempt to survive the end of the world, only for Jay to find that they are all too dumb and superficial to do it until they discover the only way out.

As I already said, I think this was an amazing movie. What I loved most about it was the excellent cast. Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, James Franco and Craig Robinson in one movie? How can that ever be bad? What's even better is the minor appearances of great actors like Emma Watson, Jason Segel, Paul Rudd, Michael Cera and Channing Tatum. This movie was already awesome before I even saw it!
The only actor that I did not like in this movie was Danny McBride. To be honest, I dislike him in every movie, and unfortunately he plays quite a big part in this one. The persons that I would have liked to see more are definitely Paul Rudd or Jason Segel; they would have made a good replacement for Danny McBride.


I just read a few other reviews online about this movie and what I find weird is that almost everyone hated this movie. Personally, I loved it, as you might know by now. But I do understand that not everyone likes this type of humor. It's a lot of talking, and a lot of cursing; the moments were something actually happens are quite spare, but for me it wasn't something bad because those dialogues were hilarious.

Other things I liked in this movie were the paintings in the background. Most of them were made by James Franco himself, and while they are not totally amazing; they do have something cool to it. For example, at some point you see one painting where the word Freaks is written on, along with a few painted humans, next to that there's a painting with the word Geeks written on, and again with a few humans painted on it. Together this is obviously dedicated to the TV show 'Freaks and Geeks'. What I find amazing about this is that most of these actors in this movie became famous because of that show. Jason Segel, Seth Rogen, Martin Starr and James Franco were all main actors in this show. I personally loved this TV show a lot and I think it's amazing that they show some tribute to their career start.

One of my favorite scenes in this movie was of course 'The Exorcism of Jonah Hill'. I cried of laughing, it was absolutely brilliant and somehow Jonah Hill actually looks scary when he's possessed.
Another funny scene was the end scene.

The special effects are not too good looking in this movie, and while that might be bothering to some people, I did not find it irritating. I think it is a part of this movie which makes it so good. It's one of those cases where 'it looks so bad, it's good.'


By now you might have noticed my enthusiasm for this movie, so of course; I recommend watching this movie. It's brilliant, funny, amazing cast and it even contains some horror elements. What else do you want?
I just loved it.

My personal rate: 9/10




No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..