Sunday 1 September 2013

Review: My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)

My Bloody Valentine
IMDB rate: 5,4
Genre: Slasher

This is the second time that I watch this movie and to be honest, the more I watch it, the more I hate it. It's quite a dumb movie with a few very stupid actions. I've never seen the original movie, but I'm planning to watch it eventually.


In the mining town of Harmony, a drilling accident is caused by the son of the owner, Tom Hanniger. The mine collapses, burying six miners alive. The rescue team finds only Harry Warden alive, but in coma, and the other miners murdered by his pickaxe, and they conclude that Harry killed them to save oxygen for himself. On Valentine's Day, Harry awakes from his coma in the local hospital, and he kills twenty-two people, including a group of teenagers that are partying in the mine. Harry is killed by the deputy, but the only survivors are Tom Hanniger, his girlfriend Sarah, their friend Axel Palmer and his girlfriend Irene. Ten years later, Tom returns to Harmony after the death of his father. Tom has decided to sell the Hanniger Mine, and finds that Sarah has married Axel, who is now the local sheriff, and they have a son named Noah. On Valentine's Day, Harry Warden also returns, seeking revenge against those that had escaped his pickaxe in the past, and Tom is accused by Axel and other locals, who in turn makes accusations against Axel.

First of all, I really really dislike movies with obvious 3D effects. I'm just watching this movie in 2D so stop throwing things at the screen. I actually blame this movie for making 3D a big thing.

The acting in this movie is okay. Jensen Ackles is an amazing actor and he can pull of his role very well. I think I only have this movie a chance because he played in it.
Jaime King is not a very good actress, this far I only liked her in Sin City and every other role she was rubbish. Her acting is kinda fake, at one point she is supposed to fall (of course, this is a horror movie, everybody falls, what did I expect?) and it just looks so terribly fake. There was nothing lying on the floor, how the hell did you even trip?
Kerr Smith is a good actor, but he seems to play the same roles a lot. Nothing wrong with the guy, but a change of roles might lift op your career a bit.


Well, the movie is kinda predictable. It's a slasher and we all know how these will end. The thing that I did like in this movie was the hearts in a box. You see, in most slasher movies it's just randomly slashing, but in this movie the guy actually took his time to cut their heart out and put it in a heart shaped box. I like that.
What I also liked was the ending, won't spoil a thing, but it was a good ending.

This movie did not scare me one bit. It was actually kinda boring and I had some trouble keeping attention to it. As I already said, I have never seen the original, but I'm quite curious about it. Most originals are better anyway and I think this movie actually has some potential. I hope I will find the movie soon so I can watch it.


All together, My Bloody Valentine is not worth watching. The acting is decent but the story is just boring. The movie is very predictable and unimaginative.

My personal rate: 4,5/10

1 comment:

You might also like..