Thursday 19 September 2013

Review: The 4400 [Season 1]

The 4400
Season 1
IMDB rate: 7,3
Genre: Science-Fiction, Supernatural

Friday I started watching The 4400 again. I bought season 1 a while ago and I thought it would be fun to start watching it. I've watched The 4400 earlier when it just came out in 2004 but I never finished all the seasons. I can't remember why I never finished it, but my guess is that it got boring after a while. I did start season 2 too and it's still fun to watch but it's definitely not as good as season 1.

Synopsis from IMDB:
The pilot begins with a ball of light sailing towards Earth, but rather than the expected catastrophic event, thousands of returned abductees are left with no memory of their otherwordly experiences. Each has been gone anywhere from a few months to several decades, but hasn't aged a day. These are the stories of the 4400 abductees after they are returned to Earth. The show follows two NSA agents who are trying to figure out what happened and why. Some of those returned have been affected in mysterious ways with certain abilities, both good and bad.



At the moment I'm almost at the end of season 2, and I still enjoy watching it. At this moment you figured out why they were abducted and put back to earth, but I still haven't figured out why they were given these abilities.

!SPOILERS!
They were abducted from the 'future' and given special abilities so they were able to save the world. Apparently the world is messed up in the future and these 4400 people should be able to save them. Some of these people have for example the ability to heal people and cure their diseases. That's a very logical explanation of why they are now able to save the world. But there are also people who have very aggressive and destroying abilities, and that's what I don't understand yet. What use does this have for the future, how can this ever save the world?
There are still so many questions and I'm not sure if this will ever be answered since the show got canceled quite abruptly.

There were five episodes in this season and I will tell my thoughts of each of them.

Season 1, episode 1: Pilot
This episode lasted 120 minutes. That's even longer than a regular movie. It's quite a long time but it did not feel that way. I enjoyed watching it because it was still very mysterious. It was an excellent beginning for the show. It's quite a big risk to make an episode that's that long, but it worked.

Season 1, episode 2: The New and Improved Carl Morrissey
I quite liked this episode. At this point they started to dedicate an episode to one 4400, while the main story was still going on. It's fun to learn about these specialities of the 4400 but after a few episodes it's getting a bit boring. At the moment I'm at season 3 and luckily they stopped doing that and just continued the main story. Carl Morrissey was an adorable insecure man, and I loved how he stood up for himself. Very touching episode.

Season 1, episode 3: Becoming
This is the episode where Jordan Collier is introduced, which is quite a big character. At first I thought he was some sort of Governor, like in The Walking Dead. A guy who seemed to be good, but actually is very bad. At this point in the series I think he's the good guy again, but I'm still not quite sure about this.

Season 1, episode 4: Trial by Fire
A very interesting episode. Kyle has awoken from his coma but doesn't seem quite like himself. It was very interesting to follow his weird behavior and to see the outcome. Other than the Kyle part it's not very interesting.

Season 1, episode 5: White Light
Again, the Kyle part was very interesting. It appeared that he had something in him which made him a bit weird. It was caused by the light-beam that was supposed to take him away from the world, which Shawn interrupted. In this episode you learn the main reason of the kidnapping. Who did it, and why. It would have been a reasonable closure for the show, because you now know the main answer. But, there are still many things left unexplained. Should they continue the show and try to explain everything? Yes and no. The show would have ended very well if it had stopped here. The other unexplained things were not that important that it would bother a lot if it wasn't explained. It's good that they started to explain things, but that's also what made the show a lot less good after season 1. It's getting a bit confusing at times, especially after season 2.


I definitely loved watching this season. It's very good and it ended good. However, the other seasons are a lot less good than this one. Do I recommend watching the other seasons? I'm not really sure. It's fun watching, but there are not much answers given, and I'm at the beginning of season 4 already at the moment. It's possible to only watch season 1, but of course that up to you.
The 4400 is an excellent Science Fiction tv Show. It's being said that it resembles Taken a lot, but since I've never seen Taken I can't say anything about that.

My personal rate: 8/10






No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..