Friday 2 August 2013

Review: World War Z (2013)

World War Z
IMDB rate: 7,2
Genre: Zombie, Survival

Yesterday I finally watched World War Z in the cinema! I was very excited to watch this one since the trailer seemed very cool. I haven't read the book (yet) so I can't compare them, but it seemed like an awesome movie to me. I quite liked the movie, it was about zombies but without the extreme killing and blood like you see in many zombie movies. This is definitely a commercial movie which makes it a lot less bloody and well, I think it was nice seeing a 'mild' zombie movie. The movie is more about finding the cure rather than survival. Sure, it's always about survival, but it did not feel like an extreme survival of the zombies movie. 

First I did not want to watch this movie in the cinema because the cinema is very expensive and also the movie is of course in 3D (just like every other good movie that comes to the cinema) and being a 3D movie, makes it even more expensive. Also I have a small problem with my eyes which causes that I can't see any depth, so a 3D movie is very useless to me. Luckily, there is a new type of glasses which makes the 3D 2D again, so I can finally go to a 3D movie again! 
I seriously don't get the big hype around 3D, I've asked many people around me if it added anything extra, but everybody only found it irritating to watch. It also gave many people headache so, I really don't see the use of it. But, besides my hate for 3D, here's a bit about World War Z.


Life for former United Nations investigator Gerry Lane and his family seems content. Suddenly, the world is plagued by a mysterious infection turning whole human populations into rampaging mindless zombies. After barely escaping the chaos, Lane is persuaded to go on a mission to investigate this disease. What follows is a perilous trek around the world where Lane must brave horrific dangers and long odds to find answers before human civilization falls.

The main character of this movie is played by Brad Pitt, who is of course an excellent actor. I thought it was really cool that Brad Pitt played in a zombie movie, it's definitely not something that I expected from him. His acting is amazing as always. I think that the presence of Brad Pitt makes it a very different movie. It's not the standard violence filled zombie slaughter movie that is filled with flying guts and blood. There are a lot of zombies, they are extremely fast and incredibly strong. But what makes this movie different is the fact that they can't be killed 'easily' with a bullet in their brains. It does weakens them down (a lot) but it does not kill them. Burning them is possible but it has to be done properly or else they will still continue living (even though that might only result in moving fingers if that's all what left of them, strangely enough). Their weakness is actually a bit stupid, but also something very smart. Won't spoil!


It is a fact that everywhere where Brad Pitt goes, shit is going down, which makes it a bit predictable after a few times. He's going to Korea, almost everyone gets killed besides him. He goes to Istanbul (?) a so called safe city and suddenly shits going down again. He goes to Wales, and again, shits going down! Almost everybody dies besides Brad Pitt and his friend which makes it a bit 2012 like. I did not think that 2012 was a very bad movie but the guy escapes all the trouble at the last seconds, very unbelievable. It's the same case with World War Z, everywhere where Brad Pitt goes there's going something wrong and he escapes it all. Don't get me wrong, I think World War Z is a much better movie than 2012, but it's a shame they used the same survival-line.

I've also read something about an alternative ending which is a much more brutal ending. This ending is almost sweet and good, it's not a bad ending but I think the alternate ending would have fitted the movie a bit more. It would have made the movie a bit tougher.

You don't see much of the zombie killing, when one gets killed it's mostly out of the screen. The zombies look not very scary, they are almost like humans but with grey skin, milky eyes and funny teeth. World War Z is definitely not a horror movie. I see it more as a action/drama movie, but with zombies.


I definitely enjoyed watching this movie. I think it's very good and it's very different from the regular zombie movies. It's nice seeing a change.
I know that many people disliked this movie and thought it was very bad because the zombies were weird and the story perhaps a bit weak. There are also many complaints about the difference between the movie and the book, but like I already said, I haven't read the book yet which makes it hard to discuss.
All I know is that I enjoyed watching this movie and I do recommend it.

My personal rate: 7,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..