Wednesday 24 July 2013

Review: Warm Bodies (2013)

Warm Bodies
IMDB rate: 7,0
Genre: Zombie, Comedic

Yesterday I finally watched Warm Bodies. I have not read the book yet, but I hope I will someday. What I thought of the movie? Well it was not exactly what I expected, but I loved it. It was very funny, cute and creepy at the same time. I expected it to be funnier and I expected not so much romance but after I finished watching it I was really impressed by it. I'm definitely not someone who enjoys romantic movies normally, but when a zombie is thrown in the story it's definitely a lot better. It's very cool to see a movie from a zombies perspective. It's not something I've seen before. The creepy part of the movie is of course that a girl falls in love with a zombie, which is basically necrophilia... at least, at some point in their relationship it will be. 

Many people compared Warm Bodies with Twilight, as if it was the zombie version of Twilight. I definitely have to disagree with that, the acting is so much better, and the story is as well. Of course, in this movie the zombies are being shown like brutal creatures that slowly turn into humans again, this makes them look a bit soft and weak but it's actually a really cool twist, very original.


With much of the world's population now an undead horde, R is a young and oddly introspective zombie. While fighting with and feeding on a human scavenger party, R meets Julie and feels an urge to protect her. What happens next is the beginning of a strangely warm relationship that allows R to begin regaining his humanity. As this change spreads through the local undead population like a virus, Julie and R eventually have to face a larger issue when the very nature of their friendship is challenged. Caught between the paranoid human forces and the ferocious "Bonies", zombies who are a mutual threat, R and Julie must find a way to bridge the differences of each side to fight for a better world no one thought possible.

Like I said, the acting is very good in this movie. Nicholas Hoult is an excellent zombie and it's very nice to see how he slowly becomes human again. I think he portrayed the role of R very well. Even though I did not read the book, I was really impressed by him. 
Teresa Palmer is also very good, she's a great actress and I loved her in every movie I've seen so far of her. She does look like a blonde Kristen Stewart, which might also cause the Twilight reference, but I think Teresa is much prettier and she is at least able to show emotions which makes her much more enjoyable than Kristen. 
Dave Franco plays a small role but I don't really like him as an actor. He resembles his brother James Franco a lot, but for some reason he's missing that thing that James has. 
Another well known actor is John Malkovich who plays the father of Julie. His part is also not very big but I did like him a lot being the father figure. I think John Malkovich fits the zombie genre quite well.
The one that I did not really like was Rob Corddry. He also plays a zombie but he doesn't really fitted the role. As a zombie R and M (Rob Corddry) were constantly groaning to each other and sometimes they could speak a word, R did this very choppy and made it seem like he had trouble with it, Rob Corddry's character said the words a bit to fluent I thought, since he's being a zombie.


The humor is very good in this movie. For instance, R is mocking himself being a zombie, about the groaning, the slow walking and stuff like that. There are also other funny moments in the movie. I don't like romantic movies and while the main story is of course the romantic story, it did not feel like a romantic movie. Some of the romantic moments were a bit lame, for example when the girl got attacked by a horde of zombies but when she's holding hands with R the zombies suddenly stop attacking and let them pass, because of the 'beautiful' romance. Or perhaps it's better to say that the whole story of 'love heals zombies' feels a bit weak. It makes the zombies look weak which is a bit lame. I would have liked a different twist where romance wasn't the primary reason. 

The bad guys in this movie were the so called Bonies. These are walking skeletons. They also used to be zombies but they can not be saved anymore. This is because they lost all hope in their 'lives' or something like that. These guys were quite scary and for a mild story like this it was a nice addition. 


I really recommend watching this movie. I absolutely enjoyed watching it. It's not really a horror movie but it does contain a lot of zombies. I personally liked it a lot to see the world through zombie eyes. It gave a really cool twist. Great acting, beautiful images and a very funny movie.

My personal rate: 8/10

2 comments:

  1. This one totally got me by surprise. Way funnier, way cooler than I expected. One of this year's most surprising highlights so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thought! Thanks for reading my post :).

      Delete

You might also like..