Sunday 14 July 2013

Review: One Missed Call (2008)

One Missed Call
IMDB rate: 3,8
Genre: Supernatural, Ghost

Let's start of with saying that I've never seen the original movie. I've heard that it's a lot better but I can't compare the two unfortunately. I think that this movie did have some potential, but at some point it was just messed up. I've seen the movie a few times before but every time I can't remember what happened in it. The movie is just not that good.


After the death of their friend Shelley, Leann Cole receives a voice mail from the future of the date and time when she would die. On the scheduled day, Leann sees weird things and in the precise informed hour, Leann is attacked by a supernatural force on a footbridge over a train station while talking to her friend Beth Raymond. Beth meets Leann's boyfriend Brian, who also received a call, and witnesses his death on the street. When her roommate Taylor Anthony receives a call, Beth befriends Det. Jack Andrews, who tells her that his sister was the first name of Marie Layton, who apparently abused of her daughters. Jack and Beth run against time trying to save Beth from her fate.

So in the beginning I said this movie had some potential. I liked the idea of hearing your own death and knowing the exact date and time. Being called by a death person made it even more exciting. The beginning reminded me of Final Destination, which can be good. 
Where it went wrong: Well at first the exorcism thing. What was that and how did the guy know about that? Why film it? It was just useless. Then there is the story itself, very weak and eventually very confusing. Won't give out any spoilers so I'm afraid I can't discuss it.
What was the deal with the dead people? How is it that those who received their call, can see those weird faced (dead?) people. What was the use of it? They also looked very fake by the way.
Also, when someone knows the exact date and time of when they will die, why does nobody try to prevent it? Why not barricade yourself or whatever?
And then there is the main character's story, also it had no use for the movie. It seemed like it was random thrown in so you could see how bad her life was. Ok nice, but it has nothing to do with the story!


The acting was horrible. The only reasonable actor was Ed Burns but his dialogues were so lame that even he became a disappointment. And the main character, how dumb can you be? Terrible character development. 

The storyline is so confusing. When you think you have finally figured out everything they just change everything again and make it even more confusing. The happenings are unbelievable and are just very lame. And I don't know what it is but this is the fourth movie in a row that killed an animal! I think the cat listened to the voicemail too. Anyway, you don't score points in a movie when you're killing of an animal.


Absolutely not recommended. Very strange movie with a terrible plot. The cast is even more terrible. I don't know about the original version of the movie, but I've heard it's a lot better. 

My personal rate: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..