Wednesday 17 July 2013

Review: I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)

I Know What You Did Last Summer
IMDB rate: 5,5
Genre: Slasher

Last weekend I watched quite a few movies, including I Know What You Did Last Summer. I thought I've already seen the movie but while watching it I figured that I never saw it before. Perhaps I've seen a few scenes but that's about it. Of course I recognized a lot of the scenes from the first Scary Movie, since the storyline of I Know What You Did Last Summer is the biggest storyline in Scary Movie.

I liked watching it, the movie is not that bad. I think the movie deserves a better rate than 5,5. It's not the greatest movie I've ever seen but I sure had fun watching it.


When four friends accidentally hit and kill a man on a road at night, they start to panic and decide to dump the body into the sea. A year later, they all try to settle don again, but one of the friends receives a note in the post, with the words 'I know what you did last summer'. As each of the friends gains their own reminder, they finally accept the one thing they feared the most; someone knows what happened that night, and now they're out for revenge.

I think the acting in this movie was great. Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddy Prinze Jr. and Ryan Phillippe are all well known and very good actors. I'm especially a big fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar as you might know, for her role in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I liked how big the contrast was with her role as Buffy. Here she is the helpless beauty queen, while in Buffy she is the tough fearless girl. I liked the chemistry between Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillippe's character, they really matched well and I would have liked to see them in the leading roles. Jennifer Love Hewitt and Freddy Prinze Jr. are both good actors but had no chemistry which made it a bit unbelievable.



I also liked the movie itself, but I must admit that because of Scary Movie, I kept imagining the scenes that way. The movie felt a bit like Scooby Doo, unraveling the mystery of who the killer is (Fun Fact: Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. both played in the movie of Scooby Doo as Daphne and Fred). 

The storyline is nice, but not great. At some point it might get a bit confusing when the killer is revealed. Also, too many screaming at that point. We know it, you're scared, now shut up please.
The movie was not really scary, it actually does not offer anything new but it's just a nice movie to watch. 


Another slasher movie! We've seen thousands of them already and true, this movie is hardly any different from the other ones. Why it's worth watching? Well it has a decent plot. An original murder weapon and pretty people who act reasonably good. I know that I enjoyed watching it, though I was not surprised by it.

My personal rate: 6,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..