Monday 22 July 2013

Review: The Descent (2005)

The Descent
IMDB rate: 7,3
Genre: Monster, Survival

I've seen this movie a couple of times already and I never really enjoyed it. It's not a very bad movie but it's a bit slow sometimes. Also, because it's in a cave, it's very dark the entire movie which makes it very hard to see what is happening. I think that the 7,3 on IMDB is a bit too high, but that's just my opinion. I think it's should be a 6 or something.


After a tragic accident, six friends reunite for a caving expedition. Their adventure soon goes horribly wrong when a collapse traps them deep underground and they find themselves  pursued by bloodthirsty creatures. As their friendships deteriorate, they find themselves in a desperate struggle to survive the creatures and each other.

The acting in the movie is decent but there was one person that bothered me endless; Saskia Mulder. She's from The Netherlands and she has a horrible english accent, which is very bothering I think. I also come from The Netherlands and I know from experience that almost everybody here has a horrible accent (of course not everybody, for example, Famke Janssen, Rutger Hauer and Carice van Houten). Not a big deal, but when hearing it in a movie it's very annoying.


What I also found annoying was the fact that three of the six females in this movie look a lot like each other, they are all blond and tall which makes it very hard to separate them from each other in a dark movie like this one. The movie itself is also quite confusing because it's in the dark, this is not the worst thing because it's logical in a movie like this. But when the main characters resemble each other a lot, it gets really difficult to follow.

The girls are really badass and it's a nice touch that the movie only contains girls. This makes it differ a lot from the standard movies. But the bad thing with a girl movie, girls scream a lot, they argue a lot and they have really high voices. A bit unpleasant at times.

The creatures are what I really liked in this movie. They are really scary. Especially the first time you see them clearly, it scared me shitless.


I think many people will like this movie, but I personally did not enjoy it so much. I thought the acting was decent with exception of one person. The monsters are really scary but the movie itself is kinda confusing sometimes. Tomorrow I will watch The Descent part two so expect a review about that one coming up as well!

My personal rate: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..