Friday 19 July 2013

Review: Dead End (2003)

Dead End
IMDB rate: 6,7
Genre: Supernatural

Today I finally came across a movie that I haven't seen before. For those who don't know yet, I'm trying to watch every movie that I own in alphabetical order. I must admit that I skipped a few movies, Alone in the Dark, American Psycho 1 and 2, Children of the Corn IV, Seed of Chucky and Dawn of the Dead. I will watch Dawn of the Dead one of these days but I was not really in the mood to watch it since I've seen it a thousand times before. Anyway, I watched Dead End. A bit of a strange movie and I must admit that I had to search for an explanation later. The rating for the movie a bit too high in my opinion. I think the plot is reasonable but like I said, at first I found it hard to understand. 


For the past 20 years, Frank Harrington has grudgingly driven his family to celebrate Christmas with his mother-in-law. This year, he takes a shortcut. It's the biggest mistake of his life: The nightmare begins. A mysterious woman in white wanders through the forest, leaving death in her wake. A terrifying black car - it's driver is invisible - carries the victims into the heart of the night. Every road sign points to a destination they never reach. The survivors succumb to panic, to madness; deeply buried secrets burst to the surface, and Christmas turns into a living hell.

I did not like the acting in the movie. It's about a family but there was absolutely no connection between them. I've never seen a more awkward family than this one. Their reactions were so retarded and they suddenly started to hit each other because of a stupid reason. And out of nowhere they give a bunch of useless confessions. Ray Wise plays the father and he's the first person that sees a dead body of a beloved one, and he shows no shocked reaction at all. It was so lame. To be honest, none of the others gave a human reaction besides Marion played by Alexandra Holden. I think she was the best actress but in this cast it's not a very special accomplishment. The most annoying one was Lin Shaye, I did not like her at all. Her acting was horrible and the role she played was even more horrible. Very annoying woman, at every part in the movie.


The plot reminded me a bit of Triangle at the beginning, eventually not anymore because it was finally cleared up a bit. The way I see it is like the woman in white was taking revenge on everyone, and the man in the black car is taking souls or something. They are in a sort of purgatory I think. I find it a bit hard to describe. Some parts were very unbelievable, like the part where they led to woman in white in their car, someone who doesn't speak at all. And even worse, who will let their daughter/girlfriend walk  all the way to the cabin in a dark forest. Why would nobody walk with her?

There was one jump-scare, the one with the baby carriage. Besides that you never see anything, and not much happens. Even the corpses are not shown, this is not a very bad thing, because it's not necessary. It can become very mysterious this way which could be a good thing. The story became a bit predictable after a while, they are driving, start to arguing, then yell to each other and stop the car. When they stop the car, shits going down!


Not a very good movie in my opinion. I heard many people like it but I can't see the beauty of it. No good acting, not a very good plot and very unbelievable moments are in it. I did not really like it, but I had fun watching a new movie *finally ;P*.

My personal rate: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..