Thursday 18 July 2013

Review: The Craft (1996)

The Craft
IMDB rate: 6,0
Genre: Supernatural

Ah, The Craft, I think I've seen this movie a thousand times already. One of the very first horror/thriller/fantasy DVD's that I owned I think. Since I was quite young back then, I've watched this movie over and over. I always liked it but after seeing it that many times... well it gets boring. Don't get me wrong, it's a good and nice movie to watch. Just don't watch it too much ;).


A new girl moves to a new city with her family to start a new life. She meets up with the girls who are very interested in the occult and together, the four of them have a seemingly unstoppable power. They can do anything, their possibilities are limitless.

The acting in this movie is quite decent. It's funny because at the time of the release of this movie, nobody of the cast was very familiar yet. Robin Tunney, Fairuza Balk, Skeet Ulrich, Christine Taylor and Neve Campbell are part of the cast, names who are quite big now but were unknown back then. Even Neve Campbell and Skeet Ulrich were not famous yet because the first Scream movie was only released later in 1996. It's funny because we know Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott, the main character from Scream, but in this movie she plays a shy girl who can also be an enormous bitch. A very different character compared to Sidney. I don't find her acting very good in this movie to be honest, it sounded a bit fake at times. I do like her in Scream though.
I've never been a big fan of Skeet Ulrich, I don't know why but I really dislike the guy. He has a typical 90's head, if that's even a thing. I would have been much happier if he also was a 90's actor, but unfortunately he had to continue acting ;). Robin Tunney is the main character in this movie, she plays her parts fairly good but nothing special. I only know her from The Mentalist besides The Craft so I can't compare much. I do know that I also did not find her special in The Mentalist so... I guess she's just a 'decent' actress.
The one that stood out was Fairuza Balk, who plays the biggest bitch and creepiest of them all. She's not much around in movies anymore, which is quite sad because I really liked her in this movie. Her parts are quite annoying but she was so damn scary. She's simply brilliant at playing the crazy one.


The special effects were not very good, I've seen worse but it's 1996 and I know that you can do better than this. I think that the plot is decent but it can get boring at times. The Craft is not really a horror movie, it doesn't really have any scary stuff in it. A few nasty moments with shit-loads of gross bugs but that's about it.

I think the movie can be called a thriller teen-flick. Carrie meets Clueless. It felt like I was watching both movies at the same time, this is not a bad thing because I enjoyed the movie. Especially the first time I watched it.


The Craft is not really a horror movie, but it's a very decent teen-flick mixed with thriller elements. It's a movie about witchcraft and friendship, a very predictable combination, but that doesn't make the movie bad. The acting is quite decent. The storyline and special effects could have been better. I think The Craft is an enjoyable movie to watch.

My personal rate: 6,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..