Monday 8 July 2013

Review: Child's Play (1988)

Child's Play
IMDB rate: 6,4
Genre: Slasher

Last weekend I watched Child's Play. Unfortunately I can't watch Child's Play 2 and Child's Play 3 because they are very expensive to buy, so I'll have to wait until I find them cheap somewhere.
I'm really afraid for dolls, so as you can imagine I'm a big Chucky fan! This movie is fairly old and even thought there is not much movement in Chucky in the beginning, when he finally starts walking and killing it looks very real! I thought that it would look very fake but I was quite impressed by it.


When Charles Lee Ray needs to get quick escape from cop Mike Norris, he takes his soul and buries it into playful, seemingly good guy doll Chucky. Little does he know a little boy by the name of Andy Barclay will be the new owner of him soon-to-come. Charles confides in Andy while he commits numerous murders. Once the adults accept Andy's story as truth, it's too late.

As I already said, Chucky looks real good in this movie. Of course you notice that it's an older movie but I think it's excellent for that period. You see a lifeless Chucky for the first half of the movie and parts where he is walking is seen from his own eyes, at first I was very disappointed because I would love to actually see him walk. Luckily, I just needed to be patient. The second half of the movie was absolutely not disappointing because not only did Chucky walk, he became the fearless murderer he is known for!

I must admit that I also enjoy watching the comedic versions of Chucky, a.k.a. Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky. I just like how he looks in those movies and I think the comedic twist fits Chucky quite a bit. But, of course this is Child's Play, the serious Chucky version. I like how he looks in this movie, it's completely different than BOC or SOC but still very scary.


The acting in the movie is quite good, especially the very young Alexander Vincent plays remarkably well. He's adorable and very smart, it's impossible to not love this kid. And of course, there is Brad Dourif's voice as Chucky. If you ask me, I think it's the perfect voice for the scary doll.
The story is quite original in this movie. Even though the ending was a bit predictable, it was not a movie filled with cliches.

Many people say that they shouldn't have made Child's Play into a horror movie, but into a thriller. Meaning that Andy would appear to be the killer the whole time. I have to disagree with them because I think it's brilliant to use a simple doll as a murderer. Sure the story how he became the murderer might be a bit weak, but bringing a doll to life is one of the best moves in horror history. I never find a movie scary, unless there is a killer doll or killer clown in it. I can imagine that many kids watching the movie back then became a bit scared for their dolls as well.


I did see Child's Play a few times before but I've never seen the second and third Child's Play. I'll have to wait a bit longer before I'm able to watch those but I'm quite excited to see them eventually.

If you like a good suspenseful slasher movie then Child's Play is definitely recommended. It's not like the usual slasher cliche and brings in an unusual killer. I know that I liked it a lot!

My personal rate: 7,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..