Friday 5 July 2013

Review: Cabin Fever (2002)

Cabin Fever
IMDB rate: 5,5
Genre: Virus

So my plan to watch Black Out and Blair Witch couldn't go on, so instead I watched Cabin Fever. I've seen this movie a few times before and it's absolutely a ridiculous movie, just terrible. But, I had fun watching it. I can't say this movie is 'so bad, it's good', because it's just not good. But it is 'so bad, it's entertain-able'. Seriously, Cabin Fever is the movie filled with all the horror cliches, which makes us know exactly what is going to happen in advance. But even with the cliches I enjoyed watching it. Don't get me wrong though, it really is a terrible movie.


An offbeat horror tale about a group of five college friends on vacation at a remote mountain cabin when one contracts a flesh-eating virus. As it spreads among the friends, their true feelings and personalities emerge as they struggle to survive the virus and each other.

So the director and writer of this story is Eli Roth. Eli Roth is also the brain behind Hostel, a movie that I personally liked a lot. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a fan of this movie. The movie is funny and very bloody.
The movie is also filled with the usual cliches, for example, your friends are probably all infected but there is a chance you are not infected yet, also there's a girl in the barn bleeding out of every pore she has; let's have unprotected sex, right now at this very wrong moment!
There is also the usual redneck family who run the store in the local town with a weird kid named Dennis who bites people after yelling 'pancakes'! Yeah, the redneck family was what bothered me the most, not only was Dennis the weirdest/creepiest kid I've ever seen, the rednecks themselves were quite weird too. Also the part where they start chasing Bert was kinda stupid and sudden. Also, what was the use of the box?

The group itself was a weird combination of people, but they were reasonable actors. I especially liked Rider Strong (he reminds me a bit of Jared Leto) and through the entire movie you have your fingers crossed that he won't get infected, but, he was the only one. Further it's hard to get any sympathy for any of these people, when a guy asked for their help, they sat him on fire. When one of them gets sick, they lock her up in a barn instead of walking to the town to get help. Even when they finally met a weird but reasonably friendly neighbor they ran off.


Eli Roth himself makes also two appearances, one as the guy in the scary story and the second time as a guy named Grim. Grim was a very useless character I think. I don't really get the purpose of him being in the movie, maybe to bring the dog in, but still, a bit of a time waste if you ask me. When you think about it, there were many useless moments in the movie. Like what was up with the whole Deputy Winston thing, the useless stuff about partying and eventually never showing up. If you ask me it was Eli Roth's way to fill up some time, because I don't know what the whole point was.

One thing that I liked was the ending, with that I mean the very ending with the old man. I won't spoil anything but it's the moment that's point back to the beginning. Now, that's humor. Further one the only other thing that was funny is the fact that the movie is quite ridiculous. But, I think the movie is so ridiculous that it gets entertaining. That may be a good or a bad thing, that doesn't matter. I just know that I had fun watching it.


Okay, so the movie is terrible. Not very good acting, not very likable persons and it's filled with cliches.  I can't recommend watching this movie because when you finished watching it you will probably regret it. When you watch it, don't watch it too seriously because it's too difficult to take this seriously. I only enjoyed watching it because I already knew what a piece of shit movie this was so I was able to watch the movie 'lightly'.

My personal rate: 4,5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..