Monday 8 July 2013

Review: The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Blair Witch Project
IMDB rate: 6,3
Genre: Found-footage, Supernatural

I've seen this movie a thousand times already and I still love it. It's brilliant. You see nothing and barely hear anything, but it's so incredibly scary. This movie impresses me every time I watch it. I seriously don't get why this movie only has a 6,3 on IMDB, in my opinion it deserves at least a 7,5 or something. It's simply brilliant that they actually made people believe in 1999 that this movie was real. A real found footage. My dad saw this movie back then and he also believed this and he still claims it's one of the scariest movies ever.


Three film students travel to Maryland to make a student film about a local urban legend... The Blair Witch. The three went into the woods on a two day hike to find the Blair Witch, and never came back. One year later, the students film and video was found in the woods. The footage was compiled and made into movie. The Blair Witch Project.

I don't think it's strange that so many people thought it was real. Even when I know it's not real, it feels real. The local people are chosen so well, it fits perfectly in the movie. The useless talking in the movie makes it look real. Let's face it, the real scary things all together are maybe.. 15 minutes? So the other 70 minutes are filled up with random talking. But this is what makes it look real. Sure, sometimes you get a bit bored or annoyed because of this, but I think that's what makes the movie so special.

What also makes this movie so good is the fact that everything is up to your own imagination. They made the suggestions, you fill them in. You never see anything in the entire movie, yet it gives me goosebumps all over. Also, the noises is what makes it so good. Again, you don't know what or who makes them, that's again up to your own imagination.



The acting of the three main actors is also very real. Not once was I annoyed by bad acting qualities. I loved how you could hear the desperation in their voice. You did not see their faces, but you immediately pictured the desperate faces with it when you heard them talk. 
A thing that I did not like is of course Heather. What an annoying bitch, but her part in the movie is just that annoying. I do think there is a bit too much Heather in the movie. I would have loved to see a bit more of Josh and Mike. Heather is quite demanding and when she screams, she sounds like a guinea pig. Not a good combination. 

And now the Josh case! I find this very interesting because there are so many options what happened to him. 

- He could have been kidnapped by the actual Blair Witch
-He could have been kidnapped by local people who don't want them there.
- He could have wandered of, because he was 'losing it' and get lost eventually. 

So after a while they find a package of wood in front of their tent and you see a bit of Josh inside, I figured it was a tongue but when I read the FAQ on IMDB there stood that it was his teeth and blood. This is quite interesting because when it was actually his tongue, he could not have screamed their names on the last day. When it were his teeth he could have been it. I have a bit mixed feelings of the Josh thing. I think it might have been local people who kidnapped him. I also think he was still alive in the house and that it was actually him screaming for Heather and Mike. This does also explain that Heather and Mike get knocked out by them in the basement. But, in that case, it does not explain why Mike is in the corner. That makes me think it was the Blair Witch again. Very, very difficult. I really can't get to a conclusion. 


All together, I think The Blair Witch Project is an incredible movie. You see nothing and is still scary as hell. Best low-budget movie ever made if you ask me. Very good acting and a must see found-footage movie. I think it's fair to say that The Blair Witch Project definitely is in my top list of my favorite horror movies. A must see!

My personal rate: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..