Wednesday 3 July 2013

Review: Below (2002)

Below
IMDB rate: 6,1
Genre: Ghost

I've watched this movie only one time earlier and what I remembered of it was that I thought it wasn't a really good movie. Now I've watched it again and actually, the movie isn't too bad. It felt like I was watching a *normal* movie instead of a horror movie, but only with a few jump scares. I had fun watching it.


In the dark silence of the sea during World War II, the submarine U.S.S. Tiger Shark prowls on what should be routine rescue mission. But for the shell-shocked crew, trapped together in the sub's narrow corridors and constricted spaces, this is about to become a journey into the sensory delusions, mental deceptions and runaway fear that lurk just below the surface of the ocean and deep inside the human psyche.

I think the movie is quite original. Since it's on a submarine the atmosphere is really claustrophobic and when something bad happens you will not be happy since you're trapped in the ocean. In this movie the captain of the submarine has died during this mission and when bad things start to happen, the crew thinks the submarine is being haunted (perhaps by the captain). The idea of this movie is quite good and fascinating. The movie itself is a bit too long and sometimes too slow in my opinion though, sometimes it's hard to keep focused. Eventually you want to know where the story is going so you do keep watching.


There are quite some familiar faces in this movie, to name a few: Dexter Fletcher, Jason Flemyng, Bruce Greenwood and Zach Galifianakis. The movie itself is quite dark and mysterious but I liked the tiny but of comedy that Zach Galifianakis brought in to it. The acting is very good and real in the movie.

The submarine was made with very good CGI, it looked quite real. Unfortunately, the ghost doesn't look that real and scary. 

As I already said, the movie doesn't really feel as a horror movie, more like a thriller with a few jump scares, nevertheless, it's a fun movie to watch. It keeps you interested, even in the beginning. Even thought the ending was a bit weird, it's a good movie. 


I think the movie deserves to be a bit more famous, it's really a nice movie with an excellent cast. It's definitely not the best movie I've ever seen but in my opinion it's a very original movie with an excellent claustrophobic atmosphere. It's definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..