Thursday 4 July 2013

Review: Aliens (1986)

Aliens
IMDB rate: 8,5
Genre: Science-Fiction

So, I also watched Aliens, which is the sequel to Alien. I expected much from it because of the high IMDB rating. It has the same rating as the first movie, so that's not that strange. I liked the movie, but definitely not as much as Alien. Sometimes the movie is a bit confusing which makes it hard to watch. 

The movie is already 27 years old but it looks quite good, but again, not as good as Alien. The alien is finally being shown with full details but that didn't satisfy me. In Alien the alien was in the shadows most of the time which made it a bit mysterious. In Aliens you see the entire alien but in this case: Less is more.

Fifty seven years after Ellen Ripley survived her disastrous ordeal, her escape vessel is recovered after drifting across the galaxy as she slept in cryogenic stasis. Back on earth, nobody believed her story about the aliens on the planet LV-426. After the Company orders the colony on LV-426 to investigate, however, all communication with the colony is lost. The Company enlists Ripley to aid a team of tough, rugged space marines on a rescue mission to the now partially terraformed planet to find out if there are aliens or survivors. As the mission unfolds, Ripley will be forced to come to grips with her worst nightmare, but even as she does, she finds that the worst is yet to come.

I think the concept of the movie is very good. It's 57 years since the previous Alien incident and in that time there is build a city on planet LV-426. It's a nice story. What I found irritating in this movie was the fact that I had no idea where they were. They were on the planet but that's it. I guess I can explain it like I was disoriented the entire movie. I had no idea of were one group was, or where the other group was. It was incredibly confusing.


The acting in this movie is again excellent. I'm still not a fan of Sigourney Weaver but I think she acted amazing in this movie. Her character is much more developed and we finally learn a bit more about her. The only other familiar face for me was Bill Paxton who plays quite an annoying role but he was convincing when he played annoying so I guess he acted good enough ;).

The movie is very interesting. The movie lasts a bit more than 2 hours but not until the very ending you notice that. This is because Ripley gets confronted with the 'mother' alien, which looks badass by the way, but that scene takes way too long. She stares at the thing for quite some time and well, it's not really believable that nobody attacks.

While the aliens look amazing and very real, they walk like they're wearing heels or something. Or perhaps like Chucky in Child's Play. What I mean is, they walk ridiculous. Nevertheless, the other special effects look again amazing, and far beyond many other movies.


The movie is very good, but in my opinion not as good as Alien. This is mainly because sometimes things took too long and because I was not sure about their destination, I felt disoriented through the movie (or something)
I'm not a big science-fiction fan but I liked this movie quite a bit.

My personal rate: 7/10

1 comment:

  1. teddy crescendo4 July 2013 at 13:00

    Aliens is still arguably THE greatest science-fiction-action movie ever made, even 27 years on it is still supreme and matchless.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..