Tuesday 14 May 2013

Review: The Walking Dead [Season 1]

The Walking Dead 
Season 1
IMDB rate: 8,7
Genre: Tv Show, Zombie

Yesterday I made a post about how I finally started watching The Walking Dead. Well, I actually made a joke when I said that I would be finished watching it by today... but I actually did end up watching every episode. There are only six of them but still, it's a whole season ;). It's really an addicting show, and today I searched my hometown for season 2 so I can continue watching it, but unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere. I had to order it online and now I'll have to wait till tomorrow... Oh the hard life. 

I've heard a lot about this show and while it seemed fun, I never thought I would actually like it. I'm thought it would be filled with cliches, and well, how many ways can you go with zombies? This show proved to me that there are many ways you can go with zombies. And, to be honest, I haven't seen any horror cliche yet! I was really surprised by how this show ended up to be, and I guess I'm developing a small addiction. I can't wait till I can watch season 2. 
I already knew a lot of what was going to happen unfortunately, because every site I come (9gag, tumblr) are filled with spoilers. But it didn't really matter much in the end because I was still excited and thrilled for what will come next. 

While there were only six episodes in this season, there happened a lot. I must say that I didn't dislike any of the episodes. When watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example, there were many episodes that I disliked, liked or were neutral. This show is totally different from a tv show like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Which is kinda a good thing I guess. 


The main character Rick Grimes is played by Andrew Lincoln, I think he is casted perfectly for this role. Rick Grimes has a soft side, and also a tougher side, and Andrew Lincoln plays both sides very well and believable. I'm excited to see how he develops through the second season. 
I already heard that his wife Lori is an unbelievable bitch and well, I can't agree more with you. Shoot the bitch already! 
And of course, Daryl Dixon, I haven't seen very much of him yet and I already love him. What a bad ass! Norman Reedus is the perfect actor to play Daryl Dixon, I hope we'll see more of him in the second season. 
I don't think I've seen any bad actor in the first season... no one really bothered me because of the overacting, of not being able to act or something. There was a small thing that I didn't like and that was Dr. Edwin Jenner, played by Noah Emmerich. It's not his character that I don't like, it's just the actor himself. He always has a small cheeky laugh and I think it's so annoying. I was already bothered by him in the Truman Show, and while I thought back then that he was supposed to act like that, he just has that small cheeky laugh himself. But that was really the only small thing that I disliked about the actors.

There were only six episodes so I'll go through each one of them and tell what I thought of it. 
!MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS!

Season 1, episode 1: Days Gone Bye
I think this episode was the perfect beginning for this show. It has to start somewhere, and this is kinda logical. By this point it's not entirely clear yet why nobody attacked Rick Grimes but you'll learn about that in the sixth episode. Nevertheless, it's not bothering that you don't know why he didn't get attacked. I loved his fellow survivor Morgan Jones and I really hope we'll see him in the next season again. All together, a good, interesting start for the show. 

Season 1, episode 2: Guts
I love how Glenn risked his own life to save Rick, and I think he will become a bigger part in the eventually. I also think he will bring a bit of humor in The Walking Dead which is a good thing. Rick finally meets other survivors and immediately shows to Merle Dixon that he isn't a pussy. I think this was the point where Rick's tough side came a bit more to the surface. And well, then there is Lori... I think she hooked up with Shane way too fast. If I can make a guess, I think it's about 1-2 weeks ago since the zombie apocalypse started. Perhaps three weeks, but still way too fast to get with him already.

Season 1, episode 3: Tell It to the Frogs
Rick is finally reunited with Lori and Carl again, and I was afraid that it would take soooo many episodes for they would be back together again. Cliche 1, crossed out. Luckily, it only took 2 episodes. When I knew they would be back together this episode, I was afraid they would be all dramatic about the reunion of the three. Luckily, this also didn't happen! Cliche 2, also crossed out! It was actually kinda quick, some nice music in the background, and done. Perfect. I also loved the look on Shane's face, it was a real 'fuck' face. And what a badass is Merle to cut of his own hand, and still being able to kill zombies. I'm really curious when we will see him again and what his reaction will be.

Season 1, episode 4: Vatos
This was a very surprising episode. While they are still searching for Merle, a gang kidnaps Glenn because they took the guns that the gang wanted. What you will expect from them is that they are a real tough gang and will shoot everybody down who bothers them. Reality was that the leader is just some janitor and that he and his 'gang' members are caring for old people in some sort hospital. Such a huge surprise. 

Season 1, episode 5: Wildfire
I personally thought this was the least fun episode of all six. It was not that bad, but it was kinda boring. Jim has to be left behind because he's bitten and the group searches for a military base. All together, not much happened in this episode. 

Season 1, episode 6: TS-19
It nice seeing how happy everybody got when Dr. Edward Jenner dropped the sentence 'be easy on the hot water'. None of them had a hot shower for days/weeks and well, I can imagine how good it must feel to finally be able to shower again. I already mentioned why I disliked Dr. Edward Jenner, so no need for that to bring up again. You finally learn a bit more about how the infection is growing inside the brain. It was kinda interesting, and finally gave a bit explanation to the zombie infection.


The Walking Dead is really recommendable for horror fans, but also for those who don't really like horror. It contains zombies, but also a deeper going story of all the characters and the virus itself. Personally I always find it very interesting how something like this started and I'm very curious to find out eventually. There hasn't been one single thing yet that I disliked about this show, and I hope it will stay that way. When I receive season 2 I will finally continue watching it and of course there will be a review of season 2. 

My personal rate: 9,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..