Thursday 4 April 2013

Review: Mama

Mama
IMDB rate: 6,5
Genre: Supernatural

So! I finally got to the cinema to watch the movie Mama. It took a while, but better late than never I guess. I was not really sure what to expect of the movie, I liked the trailer a lot. But then again, there are so many bad movies with a good trailer that I never really rely on the trailer anymore. The trailer seemed rather scary and I think for once that the trailer was right about the movie!

I think it was a good movie, the acting was great, the soundtrack was good and the jump scare moments were good too. However, I really disliked the ending. Don't get me wrong but I thought it was just made up in the last few minutes while writing the movie. The complete movie was amazing, I really liked it, but the ending was just weak. The movie was full with jump scares and tension building moments and the last scene was very mild. It was not even scary anymore. Such a disappointment. I get that they need a fitting ending but I absolutely don't think it was a fitting ending. And from what I can read on other review sites is that I was not the only one thinking that. 


I was not really familiar with the actors in this movie. I know Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister from the Game of Thrones. But I was not familiar with Jessica Chastain, although I did know that she was nominated for an Oscar. Anyway, they both played their parts very well. Amazing acting and very believable. I really loved how they put Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as the caring uncle. It was amazing how much he cared for those children, even after 5 years he never gave up on them. The children were not known actresses but I really liked them. The girl who played Victoria  (Megan Charpentier) was very believable and in the beginning of the movie very scary. Lilly (Isabelle Nelisse) was even worse. Damn, what a scary child, not even for one scene, no, just for the entire movie! Anyway, I think they both did an amazing job and helped creating a very good horror movie.

The producer of this movie was Guillermo del Toro, so I thought this movie couldn't fail at any way! He is also the producer of  The Orphanage or Pan's Labyrinth. Which are both incredible movies. Those aren't even the only good ones, but I can't dedicate a complete review to Guillermo del toro unfortunately ;).


Well, now about the figure 'Mama'. A fun fact to know is that she was portrayed by a guy, and for the rest she was all CGI. To be honest, I had to laugh when I first saw her completely, because she is looking damn ridiculous. She is scary for the jump scares, but when you see her for a while on the screen, she is not even a bit scary. 

I don't believe there were any cliches in this movie. I made some predictions while watching this movie, but luckily none came out! So, that was rather surprising for a recent horror movie. It is strange because with a horror movie you can cross every unwritten line about a story, and still every horror maker ever seem to forget that. So, it was a good thing that there weren't any cliches in the movie.


The movie had some good new inputs in the horror genre. It was an amazing cast that played in this movie, and they kept the story alive. Even though I didn't like the ending it was still a good movie. It isn't filled with gore like so many movies these days and that's another thing what differs this movie from the rest. It's a nice supernatural movie with maybe some bad CGI and a bad ending, but it didn't fail to amaze me. 

My personal rate: 8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..