Tuesday 26 February 2013

Review: Stake Land (2010)

Stake Land
IMDB rate: 6,6
Genre: Post-Apocalyptic, Vampire

So last weekend I saw the movie Stake Land, and I was not really sure what to expect from it. I linked it a bit to Zombieland (because of the name) but with vampires. This is not what Stake Land is about. Stake Land is about vampires, yes, but it's nothing like Zombieland. Nor does it need to be. 
I was not really sure what I thought of this movie, after finish watching it. I think I liked it, but there were also some small points that I didn't like. 

I don't think this movie should be considered a horror, because it didn't seem mend to be scary or anything like that. It was more something like a good thriller, but with vampires. The vampires where a bit of a side story in this movie. The story seems to be going more about growing up, and being able to defend yourself for the world outside. 


This movie is a bit of a mix between I am Legend, The Mist and The Road. There are cannibals, vampires (not of the sparkly kind), and religious cults popping up after the 'apocalypse'. Nothing is explained about how everything happened, nor does it need to be explained, because watching the movie is satisfying enough. The acting is good, the story is different than a regular horror/thriller story, the music is exactly right and the camera shots are also well taken. 

Stake Land is about Martin who was a normal teenage boy before the country collapsed in a empty pit of economical and political disaster. A vampire epidemic has swept across what is left of the nation's abandoned towns and cities, and it's up to Mister, a vampire hunter, to get Martin safely north to Canada, the continent New Eden.


What I disliked about this movie were the vampires, they seemed a lot like zombies, only they are still sleeping during daytime and are still killed with a stake. This is not really bothering though, but the main reason why I disliked them was the make-up. It reminded me of the vampires from Buffy the vampire slayer. They looked a bit odd too, especially when you start watching the show again. 

When I started watching this movie, I thought the movie had skipped a part, because the action starts immediately. Eventually it appeared that it didn't skip any part, it's just the way the movie goes. Also, the ending was a bit unsatisfying, because no information was given about what happened at the end, but it was also a bit the mystery that fitted the story. It's really a 'you decide what happens' ending.


Overall, this is a good movie. Don't expect any real horror, because then you will be disappointed. It's more a drama thriller, with some horror effects. There is some blood yes, but it's nothing close to a gore movie. If you liked the movie 'The Road', then I'm quite sure you'll like this movie too, because they're quite similar (in my opinion).

My personal rate: 7,5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..